- Poor Filtration – That’s why it always comes back!
- Black Algae spores are large enough to be removed by efficient filtration. If filtration is sub-optimal spores accumulate either in ‘dead’ spots or where surfaces are pitted (age). Effective Filtration blocks spores at the filter.
- Insufficient Chemical treatment and incorrect pH.
- Test water using test strips or reagents (older kits) to check pH, and correct as instructed.
- Brush pool with a stiff bristle brush.
- Treat pool with Shock or Algaecide as per product instruction.
Black Spot Checklist:
1. Check & Review Filtration
- Backwash and check clarity of water.
- Check baskets and are clean and that pump pressure is sufficient.
- Set pump to run 12 hrs in summer and 8 hours in winter.
- Check that there are no suction leaks.
2. Buy a strong STIFF BRISTLE BRUSH.